Smart & Caring Community
In 2017 we reached out to our supporters to ask for their help in achieving a goal with a very special one-time fundraising initiative created from a challenge by former Governor General David Johnston. In celebration of Canada’s 150th, he challenged community foundations across Canada to make this country a nation of Smart & Caring communities.
“Join me in imagining our country as it could be… a smart and caring nation, where all Canadians can succeed, contribute, and develop their talents in their fullest potential.”
– The Right Honourable David Johnston, former Governor General of Canada
As a legacy gift to our community to mark Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation, we created a new fund called the Smart & Caring Community Fund. This flexible, unrestricted fund allows us to respond quickly to emerging community needs and give more money, more quickly, to projects and programs where it is needed the most.
By investing more in targeted, priority areas, we strive to meet immediate needs while creating long-term change in our community.
The current Smart & Caring Community Priorities are to:
Build resilience in individuals, families, and communities by supporting initiatives such as those that:
- Promote strong early childhood development (prenatal to 6)
- Support youth in achieving success in education, employment, and life pursuits
- Address mental health and substance use
- Increase food security
- Assist local charities to adapt to and recover from the pandemic
Increase belonging and wellbeing within our community by supporting initiatives such as those that:
- Strengthen social connection and engagement to reduce loneliness and isolation
- Foster community connection and cohesion by recognizing and celebrating diversity
- Support the Truth and Reconciliation process
- Connect and welcome newcomers to our community and help them access services to thrive in their new home
- Amplify voices and participation of equity-deserving groups and commit to continuous learning and action surrounding anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion through policies and practices
Thank you to our Founding Contributors
We are very pleased with the over $1,260,000 that was raised for the Smart & Caring Fund as a result of this challenge. We would like to thank all of the Founding Contributors for their support and generosity.
Make a donation to the Smart & Caring fund, which will help support priority projects in our community through our established Community Grants program.