Individual and Family Giving
Many families choose to work with CFKA as an alternative to setting up a private foundation because of our connections to the community, and simply because it’s easier administratively. It’s like having your own family foundation, but without all the expense and bookkeeping. We take of all that part so families can focus on the most fulfilling part… giving.
Working with CFKA, you can give back to your community now, and leave a legacy for the future as well. You can donate to an existing fund, or we can work with you to set up your own endowment fund dedicated to supporting the organizations and causes you care about. A permanent, named endowment fund can be created with a minimum gift or pledge of $10,000.
“The work of the Community Foundation inspires Nancy and myself to do more. We don’t live in isolation in this community, so when members step forward, we realize, ‘We’re a part of that community and we should be doing something too’”.
How to Establish a Named Fund with CFKA?
1. The Timing
Do you want your fund to be established:
- Now (and you can start giving grants and seeing impact right away)
- Over time, through contributions
- Later, through your estate
2. The Type of Fund
Pick the Type of Fund based on what you would like to support and how involved in the annual decision making you want to be. We have a variety of fund types to choose from, and we can help you pick the one that is right for you based on your interests:
- A traditional endowment fund– a ‘forever fund’ where only a percentage of annual earnings will be spent:
|Traditional Endowment Funds||Minimum Gift to Establish Fund||Administrative Fee|
|Operating Fund (supports CFKA)||$10,000||0.0%|
|Field of Interest Fund||$10,000||1.5%|
|Donor Designated Fund||$10,000||1.5%|
|Donor Advised Fund||$25,000||1.5%|
- Our new ‘enhanced spending’ option– which will draw down the capital of your fund over time; so it won’t last forever, but it will grant more money out each year at twice the approved rate of traditional endowement funds (while still lasting a long time):
|Enhanced Spending Funds||Minimum Gift to Establish Fund||Administrative Fee|
|Field of Interest Fund||$25,000||1.5%|
|Donor Designated Fund||$25,000||1.5%|
|Donor Advised Fund||$50,000||1.5%|
3. How to Give
- You can choose any number of financial tools to establish and grow a fund, including: cheque, credit card, public securities, life insurance, or charitable bequest.
- Many of our donors establish funds with gifts during their lifetimes and also make provisions through estate planning to further build the fund’s capital.
- Your gift can be one time, or pledged over a period of time (monthly or annually).
- Creation of a fund with CFKA requires the minimum for a named fund ($10,000- $50,000) within five (5) years. You decide how much you want to give over what period of time.
We are grateful for all gifts to the Foundation and would be happy to speak with you about your charitable giving goals.
For further information about establishing an endowment fund, please contact Stacy G Kelly, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613.546.9696, Ext. 102