Create A Legacy
An old Chinese proverb says: “One generation plants the trees…another gets the shade.”
That’s the idea of a legacy gift. When you establish a fund at the Community Foundation for Kingston & Area – now or later through a bequest gift – you are planting a seed; a seed that, with careful tending, will grow into something to benefit future generations. By working with the Foundation, you can establish a gift that helps to build a better world for years to come. We can help you structure a fund that creates a meaningful legacy for you and your family.
Our Commitment to You
When you entrust your legacy gift to the Foundation, we offer you these four commitments:
- We will invest your gift wisely. Over 220 individuals, families, and businesses have entrusted their legacies to us. We work with top-notch investment experts to help your fund grow so that the reach of your legacy will expand over time.
- We will carry out your wishes. We are your legacy partner and we’ve been helping people leave legacies for over 25 years. We will ensure that your legacy is always invested wisely in the community – directed to the best and most effective projects and charities in the areas you care most about.
- We will ensure that your gift has a lasting impact. We have deep roots in the community and in-depth knowledge of community issues and organizations. No matter what your interest – children and youth, arts and culture, education, environment, health care, or animals – we will ensure your legacy gift makes a real difference.
- We will honour your generosity. There is great power in charitable giving through an endowment fund. It’s a reflection of your values, and a statement to future generations about your foresight, concern, imagination and vision. We’ll work with you to share your story and inspire others to make a difference in our community – or, if you prefer, your anonymity will be respected.
Join with your community
When you create a legacy fund with the Community Foundation for Kingston & Area, you become part of something bigger… part of something better. You connect at a deeper level with your community. You leave a more lasting impression in this place you call home. You join a group of caring citizens who are building a better community for our children’s children. Click here to read stories about other donors like you.
Get Started Today
It’s easy to get started. Here are three suggestions:
- Talk with the right people
Talk with your family, friends, financial advisor, or lawyer. Discuss what you care about and what impact you would like to have in your community. Explore what assets you might use to create your fund – now and/or through a gift in your Will, gift of securities, life insurance, RRSP/RRIF or something else. There are many options.
- Call Our Office
Think of us as a resource to facilitate your charitable giving. We are happy to meet with you to explore your interests and wishes, and to answer your questions about gift types, fund options, and tax implications. With our extensive knowledge of the community, we can help you identify the best way to support the causes or charities you care about.
- Create or Update your Will
A well-prepared, up-to-date Will is essential to make your wishes known so that your legacy is exactly what you want it to be. Talk to your lawyer about your wishes. Click here to view some sample Will clauses that your lawyer can use as a guide.
If you a have included the Foundation in your Will, or are considering leaving us a bequest gift, please let us know so we can ensure that we can meet your wishes, and (if you wish) we can recognize you as a Legacy Circle member during your lifetime.
We’re here to help! Call us at 613.546.9696 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to answer any questions you may have as you consider your options to create a legacy for yourself or your family.