The Stark Family Fund
2022 Stark Family Fund
In 2021, CFKA piloted a collaboration with The County Foundation to grant from the Stark Family Fund. Rather than making agencies work harder to apply to both places, we felt we could better serve the community better by pooling together our resources and requiring only a single application.
We are currently in the process of learning from this collaboration and
we appreciate your patience during this time.
If you have questions or comments, please contact our Grants Coordinator.
For information on the County Foundation’s granting programs, visit The County Foundation.
Information will be shared through the Stark Family Fund email list. Contact the Grants Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join this list.
In 2002, the Stark Family Fund was created at the Community Foundation for Kingston & Area with a $1.2 million gift from the last two surviving members of the Stark family: Ival and Ruth.
The Stark family included five sisters: Leata, Keitha, Sylvia, Ival and Ruth; who were lifelong residents of Bloomfield in Prince Edward County. Without any heirs, the family decided to establish a permanent endowment fund from the accumulated estates of the five sisters and their spouses, to support the needs of the local community. Through the Stark Family Fund, the family’s strong sense of civic responsibility will continue to sustain worthy projects and causes in their beloved community.
Click here to learn more about the Stark sisters and the legacy they left.
Income from the Stark Family Fund goes toward supporting a broad spectrum of community activities and charitable causes in the fields of education, health, social services, animal welfare and culture in Prince Edward County.
Grant applications are reviewed by a Grant Selection Committee from Prince Edward County.
The Stark Family Fund will not be issuing a Call for Applications in 2021.
Fields of Interest
Animal Welfare, Arts and Culture, Community Development, Education, and Health and Social Services.
The geographic area served: the Municipality of Prince Edward County.
Specific Eligibility Criteria
All project proposals must meet our general eligibility criteria.
Successful projects will be characterized by many of the following traits:
- they build on existing community strengths and assets;
- they respond to clearly identified local needs and provide demonstrable enrichment to the community;
- they use resources efficiently and effectively;
- they involve meaningful partnerships;
- they strive for a significant and/or lasting impact;
- they benefit a wide audience;
- they show innovation, creativity, proactive thinking, and a degree of risk.
Grants for the following will not be considered:
- to cover deficits or retire debts;
- to provide endowment funds;
- to support the operating expenses of established organizations or programs (including predictable replacement of office equipment);
- for sectarian, religious, or political purposes;
- to respond to annual fund drives for sustaining support.
Grants will not normally be given:
- to contribute to major renovation or capital construction costs;
- to individuals (with the exception of scholarships or other extraordinary cases where supported by an intermediary organization that is a charity registered with Canada Revenue Agency);
- to provide money for fundraising activities;
- to cover wages of full-time staff.
Preference is given to new initiatives but a promising program may receive more than one grant in its early years provided there is evidence that the program is developing successfully. An established program may receive a grant when it faces a new opportunity or an unexpected problem.
We are currently not accepting applications.
Grant Agreements & Final Reporting
If you are awarded a grant, you will be required to sign a Grant Agreement Form outlining the Terms and Conditions of the award before you receive your cheque. You are required to complete a Final Report within 30 days of the completion of your project. The Final Report is intended to help you evaluate the initiative and to help us evaluate the impact of our grants. See the Next Steps section on our website for details.
For further assistance, please contact Yu Jier Kou, Grants Coordinator, at 613.546.9696 or email email@example.com.